Idly are always one of the most popular recipes, which is prepared with rice and lentil. The batter is made to ferment. Idli is easily digestible and always preferred by all age group of people. It’s a type of steamed food so great for weight loss too. Idli making is not a rocket science, you just need to follow these simple technique.
How To Make Soft Idli – No Fail Recipe For Fluffy Idli
Ingredients required are
• Idly Rice – 4 Cups
• Urad Dal – 1 Cup
• Fenugreek seeds (whole methi) – 2 tbsp
• Crystal Salt – 2 tbsp
• Water – As per requirement (mentioned in tips below)
Preparation time: 12 hours Cooking time: 10 mins No of Serves: 35 – 40 Idli
1. All the ingredients are should be soaked for a minimum of 4 – 5 hours. Wash all the ingredients well and clean before soaking it in filter water.
2. Soak fenugreek seeds separately in water for 3-4 hours and grind until they are finely ground and fluffed up into the wet grinder.
3. Add the soaked urad dal to the wet grinder as it already has the finely grounded fenugreek seeds. Just add the urad dal on top of it and add half a cup of water. While grinding urad dal add 1/2 cup of water after 10- 12 minutes.
4. Avoid adding all the water at once, the batter will not be fluffy. You will notice the final grounded dal should have increased about 10 times of its volume. Grind well and then transfer the dal mixture to a bowl and set aside.
5. Now it’s time to grind the idli rice for about 30 minutes until smooth and add just enough water (1/4 cup). Once ground, transfer the batter to the dal mixture bowl and combine well.
6. I prefer to add rock salt to the batter. The batter needs to be fermented for 10 – 12 hours
7. After 12 hours the batter volume should have increased to double. Mix the fermented batter well, now the batter is ready for use.
1. Spray some ghee on the idli plate and fill 3/4 molds with the batter. And keep inside the idly vessel with 2 cups of water for steaming and let it steam for 8 – 10 minutes. Do not let it overcook, and then idlis will become hard and dry.
2. Once done remove the idly plate from the vessel do not take the idlis immediately. Leave it undisturbed for 5 minutes and remove with sharp edge spoon or else it will lose the texture. Serve hot with masala sambar, tomato chutney or idli podi.
3. I used the same batter to prepare mini idli.
1. Keep a check on the measurement of water to add while grinding the batter
- Fenugreek seeds- ½ cup water
- Urad Dal – ½ cup water
- Rice -1 cup water
2. You can also add 1 cup of Flatten rice to the batter to make it softer. Wash the Flatten rice and just soak for 10-15 minutes. Grind it along with the idli rice.
3. It’s better to go with the measured water, you can always adjust the consistency while preparing. If the batter is watery it will result in flat and hard idly. So always be cautious about water measurement
4. Add salt in batter before fermenting during summer and maybe later during winters.