Halwa, the name is enough to tempt us. Ragi Halwa is a delicious and healthier dessert suitable for all the age groups. The recipe would take some time but is totally worth the efforts. Ragi has become a staple food in Indian houses, we often prepare ragi dosa, ragi porridge but here is an exciting and unique dessert recipe with ragi.
Ragi Halwa- Healthy Recipe with Finger Millets
Ragi is well known for its iron and calcium content, it is full of energy, protein, and high in minerals. This dessert also includes healthy ingredients like coconut, jaggery, and nuts. Coconut is rich in MCT (Medium Chain Triglycerides) it’s the best fat for fast absorption which gives out energy. Jaggery is the best replacement of sugar as it has natural iron. So, ragi halwa is completely a super energetic and iron-rich dessert.
It makes a perfect dish for the adolescent girls, pregnant women, and growing children. In addition to that, it has nuts like almonds and cashews, which is again a good fat for brain nerves and of course taste enhancer. Ragi halwa will make a perfect evening snack for kids.
1.Nannari Syrup – How to make Nannari Syrup at home
• Ragi or finger millet – ½ cup
• Grated coconut – ¼ cup
• Grated Jaggery – ½ cup
• Ghee – 1 tbsp
• Water – 500 ml
• Almonds and cashews – sliced
• A pinch of cardamom powder
Preparation time: 6 hours Cooking time: 30 mins Serving: 6 portion
1. To prepare ragi halwa, rinse and soak the ragi or finger millet inadequate water for 5- 6 hours.
2. In a pan, take grated jaggery and ¼ cup of water. Bring it to boil and make sure it dissolves completely. Strain and keep aside.
3. Now drain the excess water from soaked ragi and grind along with grated coconut into a smooth batter, add required water.
4. Now with the help of filter or muslin cloth strain the grind ragi and grated coconut. And extract the milk
5. In the residue add some more water and grind it again.
For grinding you can use 200ml of water (for ½ cup ragi) as we have used ¼ cup for dissolving the jaggery.
6. Repeat the straining process for two more times, now the ragi – coconut milk is ready for the delicious dessert
7. Pour the ragi – coconut milk into a thick bottomed pan, now add strained jaggery water.
8. Keep the pan on the stove with a low flame and cook the mixture until you get a semi-solid consistency. Stir continuously. It will take 15-20 minutes to thicken up.
9. When it becomes thick add in 1 tbsp of ghee and a pinch of cardamom powder. Now mix it together in medium flame by stirring continuously.
10. Stir for around 4-7 minutes. You can notice the glossy texture of Ragi halwa. At this stage, turn off the stove
11. Take a bowl and grease some ghee and pour the prepared hot halwa to the plate.
12. Finally, garnish with finely sliced almonds and cashews.
13. And allow it to rest for 10 – 15 minutes and cut it into pieces.
14.Enjoy a tasty meal with the family.