Kofta curry is always most delicious gravy with lots of ingredients, we can make as per our preference. Here I have given a little twist to the regular kofta curry. I have used sweet potatoes and green spinach leaves.Sweet potatoes are not commonly used in dishes, but it’s the healthiest tuber, even diabetic can include it into their diet. It will give a good amount of iron, fiber, and calcium. Here is the recipe to prepare
Sweet Potato and Spinach Kofta Curry
For kofta preparation
Sweet potato (Boiled, Peeled and mashed) – 1 large
Finely chopped spinach leaves – 1 cup
Finely chopped onion – 1 cup
Finely chopped Green chilly – 1 long
Red chillies flakes – ½ tsp
powdered Cumin seeds – ½ tsp
Ginger Garlic paste – 2tsp
Curry leaves – 10 nos
Finely chopped Coriander leaves – a handful
Vegetable oil – 3 tbsp
Salt to taste
For Gravy preparation
Finely chopped Onion – 1 cup
Finely chopped Tomatoes – 2 Medium
Finely chopped Garlic Ginger – 2 tbsp
Almond and cashew – 2 tablespoon
Garam Masala – ½ tsp
Turmeric powder – ½ tsp
Chilli powder – 1 tsp
Coriander powder – ½ tsp
Cumin powder – 1 teaspoon
gingelly oil– 1 tbsp
Fresh Cream- 1 tablespoon
Salt to taste
Preparation time: 20 mins Cooking time: 20 mins Serving size: 4 – 5
Method to prepare kofta
1. In a mixing bowl, add mashed sweet potatoes, spinach, onion, green chilies, ginger garlic paste, cumin seeds, red chili flakes, curry leaves and coriander leaves. Finally, add required amount of salt.
2. Knead the mixture well with little oil like soft dough
3. Spray some oil in the palm, take a portion of the mixture and roll it into a small sized ball.
4. In a hot pan add 3 tbsp of oil to shallow fry koftas, these kofta balls are very delicate, it will break while cooking so gently flip with the spatula
5. Once it cooks well and turns golden brown, drain them into a paper towel and keep it aside
Method to prepare gravy
1. In a hot pan and add ½ tbsp of oil and add ginger garlic, sauté it till it turns golden brown
2. Then add onions and fry till it cooks then add tomatoes cook, until mushy or you can add tomato puree
3. Now it’s a time to add masala like Garam masala, turmeric, chilli, coriander powder let it cook well and add roughly chopped almonds cashew let it cool aside
4. Once it cools down, add it in the blender and make a smooth paste.
5. Heat the pan add ½ tbsp of oil and add cumin seeds let it splutter.
6. Now add the ground paste in the pan with 2 to 3 cups of water to it and cook with required salt
7. Let it boil and add cooked koftas to the gravy, allow it to cook for 2-3 minutes in low flame.
8. Finally, sprinkle with coriander and topped with fresh cream
9. Serve hot with Roti, Chapathi or Tandoori naan. You can also serve with Matar pulao or Jeera pulao.
10.Enjoy a tasty treat with the family.