Mirchi ka salan, a Hyderabadi popular recipe prepared with the base of coconut and peanut masala paste. The sautéed long green chili goes well with hot Briyani and roti. This spicy Hyderabadi Mirchi Ka Salan recipe needs little preparation time but the taste is worth it. It will enhance the taste of Briyani.
Hyderabadi Mirchi Ka Salan
The long green chilies are a rich source of vitamin C and Iron. Addition of coconut and peanut will give a good fat and a rich taste to the recipe. And it contains lots of spices to improve the taste and the final consistency of Hyderabadi Mirchi Ka Salan should be thick to have a great taste.
Ingredients required are
- Green chilies – 8 – 10 no’s long
- Tomato – 1 cut into half
- Ginger garlic paste – 2 tsp
- Tamarind thick extracted – 5 tbsp
- Turmeric powder – ½ tsp
- Garam Masala – 1 tsp
- Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
- Fenugreek seeds – 1 tsp
- Finely chopped Coriander – A Handful
- Curd – ¼ cup
- Vegetable oil – 4 – 5 tbsp
- Sugar or Jaggery for taste
- Salt – as per taste
- Water – 2 cups
- Onion chopped – 1 medium size
- Grated coconut – ¼ cup
- Peanuts – ¼ cup
- sesame seeds – 1 tbsp
- cumin seeds – 1 tbsp
- coriander seeds – 1 tbsp
- Hing (asafoetida) – a pinch
Preparation time: 15 min Cooking time: 25 min serving size: 3 – 4 portions
- Lets first make the preparation for Masala – in a hot pan dry roast the grated coconut, peanuts till turn golden brown in color.
- Now add the remaining one by one, i.e the sesame seeds, cumin seeds, coriander seeds with the pinch of hing and roast it for a while, let it cool.
- In a hot pan add oil and add chopped onion till it gets soft.
- Once all the Masala ingredient is cooled, blend them into a fine paste and keep it aside.
- In a deep pan, add little oil and sauté deseeding green chili and keep it aside
- In the same pan add mustard and fenugreek let it splutter then add chopped tomato, ginger garlic paste and add all spice powder i.e turmeric powder, chili powder, garam masala and add a little water. Allow it to cook well for 2 minutes.
- Now add whisked curd, Tamarind paste, jaggery and salt as per requirement. Close it with lid and cook for 30min in slow flame.
- Finally, add sauté green chili, if you are health conscious, you can add just raw long green chilies and let it cook for 5 minutes in medium flame
- Sprinkle with a handful of finely chopped coriander leaves
- Serve hot with Briyani or roti