Usually, upma is prepared with sooji or vermicelli. Foxtail millet Upma is not like a common variety of upma. Thinai millet was used in our ancestor period and after evolutions of different food variety, these millets were washed out of the kitchen. Now people understand the goodness of millets. So these millets again came into the Indian kitchen with a bang. These grains or millets are always low on taste because of higher fiber content.
Foxtail Millet Upma- Healthy Breakfast with Millet
Millets are easy to digest, and it contains a high amount of lecithin, which is not commonly available in many foods. lecithin is the best component to strengthen the nervous system. Millets are gluten free, and rich in fiber, protein, minerals, and vitamins. Because of the fiber content and high amount of complex carbohydrate, foxtail millet makes a great food for diabetic and dyslipidemic people.
Foxtail Millet is good for kids too, so include it in the regular diet at least weekly once. It will hydrate your colon and it prevents constipation and prevents irritable bowel disease too. In addition to it Foxtail Millet Upma, there are lots of colorful vegetables and seasonings too. These vegetables will give antioxidant and enhance the taste of the dish. Thinai upma can be given as a breakfast or dinner for all age group. Here goes the recipe.
• Foxtail Millet / Thinai – ½ cup
• Finely chopped Onion – 1 medium size
• Finely sliced Green Chilli – 1 nos
• Finely chopped Carrot – 1 medium
• Sliced French beans – ½ cup
• Fresh green peas – ¼ cup
• Finely chopped ginger garlic – ½ tsp
• Cumin Seeds – ¼ tsp
• Mustard Seeds – ½ tsp
• Urad dal – ½ tsp
• Turmeric Powder – ½ tsp
• Curry leaves – 1 spring
• Ghee – 1 tsp
• Water – 2 cups
• Salt to taste
• Finely Chopped Coriander leaves a handful
Preparation Time: 10 mins Cooking Time: 30 mins Serving size: 2 – 3 portion
1. In a hot pan add 1 tsp of ghee, once get heated add in mustard, urad dal, and cumin seeds, curry leaves wait until it splutters.
2. Now add finely chopped onion, chilies, finely chopped ginger garlic, turmeric powder and sauté with required salt for 2 minutes.
3. Soak Thinai for 5 mins and wash twice or thrice with fresh water and keep it aside.
4. Then add finely diced carrots, beans and green peas with 2 cups of water, let it in simmer until it gets cooked well.
5. Bring it to a boil and check for salt. Now add washed Thinai, cover and simmer for 15 mins till it is cooked well.
6. Finally, add a hand full of freshly chopped coriander leaves and mix well
7. And serve hot with freshly prepared coconut chutney or green chutney.
8. Enjoy a tasty meal with the family.